E = L

One error equates to a loss.

9th inning.  We are standing, cheering, encouraging, hooting and hollering.  2 outs and 2 strikes.  Guy on second. We have the lead.  One more strike and the game is over. One strike away from the 10th consecutive win for the Bloomington Blue Jays.

Kansas City batter smacks the ball directly to our shortstop Jose Reyes, who shall remain unnamed. I don't like to name names, but Jose Reyes fields the ball well and then makes a bad throw to first which results in the speedster at second getting home, a tie game, extra innings, a loss.  Jose Reyes says he screwed up and today he's putting it in the past and moving on.  I only wish that were so easy for the rest of us Jose Reyes.

Today I will recite this Buddhist Prayer of Forgiveness for Jose Reyes and for all people who like me have trouble putting the past in the past.  I know I'm only hurting myself by hanging on to this pain.  I love Jose Reyes and the rest of my team.  I might go back tonight to see you again.  I'm not sure right now.

"If I have harmed anyone in any way
either knowingly or unknowingly
through my own confusions
I ask their forgiveness.
If anyone has harmed me in any way
either knowingly or unknowingly
through their own confusions
I forgive them.
And if there is a situation
I am not yet ready to forgive
I forgive myself for that.
For all the ways that I harm myself,
negate, doubt, belittle myself,
judge or be unkind to myself
through my own confusions
I forgive myself."

Comments

KC said…
Aren't you really into zen buddhism now that you read time being??
LH said…
I used to really be into Zen a million years ago. I used to sit zazen and I took a course at the San Francisco Zen Center. My mom even bought me a zafu, which is gathering dust right now.

This book definitely is pulling me back to it. 2 books I read a long time ago that I might re-read are by Charlotte Joko Beck. She wrote: Nothing Special: Living Zen
and
Everyday Zen: Love and Work

I think these are 2 of the best books I've ever read. Zen practice will be an important thing for me to explore as I re-enter the workworld soon. Thanks for the rec., KC-san.
mm said…
I love the poem, and I love the vibrant colors in the picture.
Anonymous said…
Love this post!!! So well written and has such meaning for me!!! Thank you.
jw
jdoc said…
Thanks for these recs in the comments. All I want to do is read this summer. But I work a lot in the summer. Better take a look at Everyday Zen.
KC said…
I did not know the deets on your zen history. love it!!

Popular Posts