The Familiarity

I've had some jet lag as you know, and also a bit of culture shock.  In Israel, there are no Starbucks, so I was happy to take my work to a Starbucks on Friday and set up shop.  There are 100's of Starbys here in Toronto.  I got the weirdest feeling when I was in Starbucks. Everything was exactly how it's supposed to be in a Starbucks. Nothing confusing or awkward.  I still love Starbucks in theory, but the familiarity of the place felt a bit SCI-FI.  Sorry Starbucks, but you're starting to creep me out a little.

We walked to the St. Lawrence Market yesterday.  Then we walked to the Historic Distillery District.  Toronto is a good city for walking.  We've decided to be walkers this month and not rent a car. We might rent a car one weekend to drive to Niagara Falls. We witnessed a minor car accident on our walk, so that might be an omen not to rent a car.

Our friends here B and N have invited us to their home for tea today.  They live near a small urban farm and B says there may be lambs frolicking about.  Yesterday I saw some baby pigs hanging dead in the market, so this will be a fascinating contrast. We may also go to a museum.  Today is a day to put jet lag behind me and get some photographs of some art and some living, ovine creatures. That is my mission, if I choose to accept it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's cool you aren't renting a car while in Toronto. I would like to see some baby lambs frolicking.
jw
mm said…
luv the brick wall
LH said…
We didn't see the lambs. But we did have a great time talking and eating mango upside down cake.

MM, me too!

Popular Posts