The Queen


Happy Victoria Day, Canada!

Victoria Day is a national holiday in memory of Queen Victoria.  I've been reading up on Queen Victoria and she had an interesting life.  Some fast facts:
  • She was born in 1819.
  • Her mom raised her using a system called The Kensington System, which was a big drag. Victoria's social life was rigidly controlled.  Victoria hated it.  
  • She became Queen when she was 18 and reigned for 63 years, longer than any other female monarch.
  • She was shot at a bunch of times during her life, which I'm sure got tedious.
  • Victoria loved her husband Prince Albert and they had 9 kids.  When he died, she went into seclusion, which annoyed people. After awhile, she came out of seclusion and people liked her again.
  • After her husband died, she had a manservant by the name of John Brown and some people thought they were having an affair.  They may have been, I'm not sure.
  • She died in 1901, after not feeling that great for awhile.
  • That's basically all I know at this point.

I hope everyone in Canada, our neighbor to the north, has a great Victoria Day.  Try to think about the queen a few times during the celebrating. When all is said and done, it's her birthday and she went through a lot.

Comments

cb said…
Thanks of this info. She did go through a lot. I didn't know she had been shot a bunch of times.
LH said…
She was shot AT a bunch of times, but people always missed. Once someone hit her in the head with a cane or an umbrella and did give her a gash. But the gun shooters always missed. Thank goodness.
cb said…
Oh! That does make a big difference. Although being shot at seems like it might be kind of stressful too.

I apologize for not being a careful reader.
LH said…
Being shot at is pretty different than being shot. 2 little letters and it's a whole new ball game.

No worries, Good Friend.

Did you see how I wrote about the Carleton Graphic Press last thursday???
LH said…
Now I see that you have.

That's me not being a careful reader, so I'll apologize this time!

So good to read your voice!!

Popular Posts