Thursday Creativity Share: The Subtlety


Here's what you need to know.  Kara Walker has created this amazing sculpture in the Domino Sugar Factory in Brooklyn.  This sphinx is coated with sugar donated by Domino Sugar. I saw some art by Kara Walker at the Walker Art Museum in Minneapolis a few years ago.  Her work gets me to wondering. The Walker Museum art made me a little uncomfortable, so I was glad to read that the work even makes the artist uncomfortable at times.  I'm in awe of this new installation and I wish I could go to Brooklyn and see it. Field trip to Brooklyn! Let's do this. We can all stay at my nephew's apartment.

Fascinating side note:  Did you know "subtleties" were small sculptures sometimes made out of sugar that people put on their feast tables during the Renaissance and Middle Ages? Let's bring that tradition back ASAP.   Subtlety Hand Turkeys?
The full title for this sculpture is A Subtlety or The Marvelous Sugar Baby, an Homage to the unpaid and overworked Artisans who have refined our Sweet tastes from the cane fields to the Kitchens of the New World on the Occasion of the demolition of the Domino Sugar Refining Plant.

Thursday Creativity Share:  An amazing installation in a soon to be destroyed sugar plant that will get you thinking about race, gender, food, our nation's history and our present day realities.  Once again, well done




Comments

Eli Rumpf said…
Awesome! I'll have to go check it out. Still not quite sure what to make of the sculpture and crazy title. I bet it would have a big impact seeing it in person though!
mm said…
It's coated with sugar? That's a lot of sugar!
Anonymous said…
A job well done on the Thursday Creativity Share!!!
jw
LH said…
Neph, Let us know if you see it. I'd like to hear your opinions if I don't make it to Brooklyn by the time it leaves. And thanks for coming over here and reading the blog, ELI! <3!

MM, true that!

Thanks, JW!!!!!!!

Popular Posts