I


Ice Cream


My dad used to buy the weirdest flavors of ice cream.    Butter nut raisin brickle.  Blueberry cashew swirl.  Raspberry jelly fudge chunk.  Stuff like that.  The guy was a master.  You couldn’t even get mad because you’d be so shocked that he found an even weirder flavor each week.  Sometimes I’d actually run over to read the ice cream box because I couldn’t believe the flavor even existed.  I can see the delighted gleam in his eye to this day as he announced the flavor of the week with pride.  The 7 of us would groan in disbelief, but I think we also felt a little bit of admiration for his tenacity.  When I do have ice cream now, it’s usually vanilla. Dad still likes the weird ones. 

Comments

KC said…
Great photo. I like Mint Chocolate Chip/Peppermint Bon Bon. Also, this local ice cream place (Izzy's - did you go there?) has a really good flavor called Cake Batter. YUM.

Dan likes Rocky Road which places almost never have. Poor Dan.
Anonymous said…
I-Indiana University. IU. Your Indiana H-O-O-S-I-E-R-S!!!!! Go Big Red! My alma mater, and the future home of Grace Reynolds who is starting there this fall (as if you didn't know!) Can't believe we have girls in college, my friend! And as far as ice cream goes--chocolate or coffee flavors for me. I love your story though!
Anonymous said…
Google Jeni's Ice Creams in Columbus Ohio--they have some weird combinations of flavors, but it's wonderfully delicious!
N
PS-having a great time so far--love the rocks and ocean!
There is no better combination in ice cream than raspberry and chocolate. I assume that your reference to "raspberry jelly fudge chunk" is to some kind of chocolate fudge chunk which means that would be a great ice cream.
jdoc said…
I'm all about the vanilla too. Phish food is oddly delicious as well. Finding chocolate fish in your food is always fun and exciting.
LH said…
KC, we went to Izzy's a lot. Q is an ice cream fanatic.

Yay, N, I can hear the guy who always announces at the bball games in your post. V. funny. Come home soon!

UL, I'm not a big fan of the raspberry with chocolate combo. Not really a big raspberry fan at all.

Jdoc, Never tried the phish food. Perhaps I shall. Or, I may just head over to Chocolate Moose here in town. V. delightful.
cb said…
I
I Am Love (not me, specifically)is a film set in Italy. If you enjoy Tilda Swinton, scenes of Italy, the music of John Adams and over-the-top operatic drama, I can recommend this film. Indubitably.
LH said…
C, I want to see that. If it ever comes here. We'll probably have to drive to indy. So annoying about the cinema situation.

Popular Posts