The Roses

Feeling restless because of the downerity of the former post. Sure standardized testing sucks for kids and is damaging our educational system but is that any reason to trash literacy? Standardized testing does indeed represent how literacy can be used to oppress some and privilege others, but mostly literacy is good. And just remember when your kid or some other person's kid comes home with their super high test scores and everyone wants to do a little jig because of how fantastic it is to have high test scores, just remember that standardized tests are hideous distortions of what learning is all about. That's all I'm trying to say here.
And finally I have my poem. I've had about 10 in mind, but then I remembered that last time i took out my Audubon book to identify some birds, I noticed TD had left a stash of little bits of cut up papers with poems on them. I found several in her stash that would be good but I think I'll go with this one.
Thanks, TD. Please come home soon.

Comments

mm said…
Standardized tests remove the life out of everyone. The good news is tomorrow's PimP (like the pimp?)will reinvigorate everyone. It's literacy in a positive format. I've decided to carry three poems in my pocket! Is this legal?

oh, love the poem you chose
dw said…
Further to your comment on my post, I am not sure blogging twice in one day does anything for you in the challenge. Yesterday, I sort of blogged twice when I edited my original post to include my Koala poem. Also, I live-blogged, which was kind of like 8 different posts.

We will need to figure out some tie-breakers for the inevitable several-way tie we are going to have at the end of the month.
LH said…
MM, thanks for bringing me back toward the light.

DW, As i said earlier on your post, just wanted to point out the double posting. You probably are in a state of awe about the double posting aren't you?
Anyway, let's move on from that topic. Got your poem???
Anonymous said…
Even if you hadn't told us from whence it came, I would have known, from the very first line, that the poem in your pocket came from TD.

D/
KC said…
I wanted to share that I just remembered that Shef's class recited a poem by Karla Kuskin at their literacy feast earlier this year. The Meal, I think it was called.

He loves that poem very much.
cb said…
Oh dear, your pocket poem is so lovely. I'm tempted to steal it for my own pocket which is in a different time zone so it won't really be stealing, right?

My teen daughter is having standardized testing this week. It seems like many kids just listen to their IPods or do homework during the tests. A non-learning experience measuring exactly nothing.

But a highlight of this week was taking teen daughter to see (twice) a favorite author: Megan Whalen Turner. MWT is fabulous. And pro-literacy.
Anonymous said…
Poem-in-your-pocket day was announced yesterday(via my prompting), and many classes actually participated! It was so much FUN! The kids were sharing their poems to everyone! Literacy Rocks! As does the lit challenge and you!
N
LH said…
KC, I googled Meal by Kuskin and couldn't find it. Shef may have to do a tokbox for me.

C, I will check out MWT. thx!

And N, thanks for your kind words and friendship. Always.

Popular Posts