The Otter

Today I started Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. But I'm going to blog about something I read yesterday at the compound. I'm going to blog this as a dramatic sketch because it shows how literacy can be totally full of pathos from time to time.

Characters:
Keith, second grade peep
Leeway, Literacy Partner
Evan, third grader.
Carla, 3rd grader.
Shana and 6 other second graders.

Setting: A school hallway. A literacy partner is sitting on the floor surrounded by second graders. The kiddos are supposed to read and write about sea otters. Keith is having trouble.

Leeway: Keith, did you read this? (holding up a short text about sea otters)
Keith: No. I can't read it.
Leeway: Would you like me to read it to you? Then you can write 3 sentences about sea otters?
Keith remains silent.
Leeway: Why don't I read it to you then? (She reads with gusto and verve). "Sea otters have very thick fur. Sea otters live in cold water. Their fur helps keep them warm. Sea otters use their paws to clean their fur. Sea otters use their paws to get sticks and dirt out of their fur." So, what did you learn about sea otters, Keith?
Keith: (Shrugs) Nothing.
Leeway: Nothing? Nothing about their thick fur or how they use their paws to keep clean?
Keith: I don't know.
Leeway: Want me to read it again? Listen carefully this time and try to remember one thing about sea otters that you can write about.
Leeway reads the text again, with gusto and verve. As she finishes, she holds it up to Keith.
Leeway: Look at this cool picture of this sea otter cleaning its fur. What do you think you should write, Keith?
Keith: Nothing.
Leeway: Why don't we talk to your friends here to see what they're writing---
Evan, a third grader bursts out of the boy's bathroom.
Evan: (Very animated) There's poop on the floor in here. And in the urinal!
Leeway: Just go downstairs and explain this to Mr. D., Evan. Go quickly and don't interrupt the second graders. Everyone's doing a great job writing about sea otters.
Evan runs down the hall.
Leeway: Okay, Where were we? Shana, What are you writing about?
Carla, another third grader walks by, on her way back from the library.
Keith: Hey Carla! There's poop in the boy's bathroom. It's on the floor and in the urinal.
Carla: Gross. (Keeps walking).
Leeway: (silent for a few seconds, staring at Keith) Wow! Keith! You remembered a lot about the POOP! That was amazing! You remembered 2 details! You remembered that there was poop on the floor and in the urinal! You did such a great job talking about the poop, but when we talked about sea otters (leeway holds up the sea otter text), you didn't remember even one thing. That's really something how you can remember everything about the POOP, but not even one thing about the SEA OTTER!
Shana: Can you please stop saying "poop" so much?
Leeway: Maybe I can. What do you say Keith? Do you think you can get to work now and write something about the sea otter?
Keith picks up his pencil and starts writing, just as the hallway fills with second and third graders rushing out to recess.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Things I read today: This BLOG!!!!(and of course some of the links), and several text messages. I need to crack open a book--we have several unread ones lying around, but I am too into the bball games at the moment. I love your View stories!
N
Anonymous said…
Ohmigosh! What a day this has been! First, one of my photos was selected for the big SoFA show in May. Second, the Butler Bulldogs are in the finals! Third, I am laughing myself goofy over your blog!

D/
kc said…
Two days in a row I've been laughing my head off out loud at your blog.

You are so funny and REALLY one of my favorite writers.

This story about Keith is classic. Just classic. And, how's this for sad: I'm pretty sure I could have the exact same conversation with a tenth or eleventh grader at my school.
LH said…
Hey N, I also have the Dragon Tattoo book. Can't decide which one I'll read.

D, WHICH PHOTO GOT IN??? When's the show???

KC, This story is hardly modified at all! CRAZY! Loving the blogging challenge, aren't you???
Anonymous said…
You will like the Dragon Tattoo--it took a little bit to get into, and then I really couldn't put it down.
N
Julie Anna said…
This kind of thing happens with my 53 yo husband and 16 yo son--They can't remember a thing I tell them, ever, but can remember anything that involves poop. It's a mindset. I am reading Salmon Rushdie's "Midnight's Children". God save me from this book. I feel as if I need to keep reading, and the story can be interesting in parts, but some reason it is going S-O S-L-O-W-L-Y T-H-A-T I F-E-A-R I M-A-Y N-E-V-E-R F-I-N-I-S-H T-H-I-S B-O-O-O-O-O-K.

Popular Posts