The Book

I woke up and finished The Hunger Games first thing. I loved that book. The ending was a "to be continued" kind of ending, but that didn't even bother me that much. If you haven't read Hunger Games, you should.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay is the chosen read for our town's One Book One Bloomington program. I got to about p. 135 and then stopped because it was boring me. But there's an article in today's rag about how great it is. Maybe I should give it another try? But it's overdue, so that could be complicated. Plus, I gave it a good amount of my time already. I'll decide about this later.

This afternoon I headed over to a daffodil exhibit. It was a in a small room at the local garden center. Some tables were set up with vases of daffs in them. There are a LOT of different kinds of daffodils. I was feeling pretty pleased with this little field trip of mine, but then I got home and my brother in law posted a picture on facebook of his trip to a tulip festival. His photos showed tulips going every which way for about a bazillion miles. That would be a great thing to see.

Comments

mm said…
Is it a book middle school students could/would read? I have heard nothing about this. Even though I don't live in Bloomington, one would think they would try to incorporate the schools in such a reading event.
LH said…
Hunger Games would be great for middle school. There are many moments to critique the ways we use media for voyeurism and even cruelty.

The One book One Bloomington program is down here in Indiana. And I don't think Kavalier and Clay would be great for middle schoolers, but I could be wrong.

thanks for stopping by.
Unknown said…
They have a similar program here in SJ. The book this time is Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food. I am reading it, but not because it's the SJ book; I already owned it and was going to read it anyway. I haven't read the previous SJ books. Not out of orneriness or anything. I just haven't felt like I knew anyone else who would be reading them too. Sigh. SJ is like that.

Have not read Kavalier & Clay either. Don't think I would like it at all. Plus the author lives in Berkeley and has become quite the local bigwig, something I resent a bit since I don't think I like his books. Now that is orneriness, for sure

mem
KC said…
There's a flower show here at Macy's downtown. Wish u were here, and we could go together. We'd probably have to take Mac, which would be a huge pain because he's in a huge pain phase. But, he's cute.
Anonymous said…
Love this photo. So glad you put it on JPG.
Since it's National Poetry Month, I thought you might like to listen to this.
http://bit.ly/bzVqX7
(You may have to google it.)
D/
Anonymous said…
If you can't get the poetry from my last message, go to my Twitter account, and you'll see I re-tweeted it from another source. You can get it from there.

D/
Joanne said…
I think my last comment went to the stratusphere (where is the spellcheck)I agree with Mary about bay area big headed big wigs but forget K and C which was boring but read the Yiddish Policeman's Union by him which was much better and I loved the Movie Wonder Boys and still want to read that. I read a book of his essays 6/10 and a short Gentlemen of the road 7/10
LH said…
J, I loved the movie Wonder Boys too. Haven't read any of the stuff you have!

I always think you and Ms. Morris are lucky to have big wig authors around, but now I see there are some drawbacks.

K, Flower show with you and Mac would be super fun. I have vague memories of going to that during our year there?
Julie Anna said…
Feeling like a lone voice in the dark, I will say that I liked K&C. There were parts that were hard to get through, but overall, it was a worthwhile read. I loved Yiddish Policeman's Union and Wonder Boys even more. I think I've read all of his books--I just like his writing style. Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food" is an absolute must read. It's an eye-opener, even when I thought I was a smarty-pants when it comes to nutrition information. I have not read Hunger Games but I'll put it on the list.
Julie Anna said…
Forgot to tell you, mz l, that I have K&C if you want to borrow it and read it at your leisure. I hate being under the time pressure of a return date if something is a long read.
LH said…
Yes, I would love to borrow it!
thx, J!

Popular Posts