The Gift

I just got home from work at 10:15 pm. I sure am glad teachers have such awesome hours. I worked 6 hours at the compound yesterday, which was Sunday btw. Yep, teachers have a way cushy job!

Okay, time to get focused here.
I've been reading my computer screen for the past 5 hours, but I did have a fine reading experience today, which I shall now tell you about thusly. I read Granddaddy's Gift to the third grade podcasting group. You're thinking, "Hey tell us more." Okay I will. It's about a guy who wants to register to vote in Mississippi but he has to take a literacy test about the U.S. Constitution in order to register because of his skin color, so he studies and takes the test but when he goes to celebrate with people at his church, his church has been burned down. But the church burning backfires because it gives others the courage to study for the test in order to register to vote. The third grade peeps were enthralled with this book and their teacher said, "We need more books like this, they were captivated." I'm going to try to gather books and texts that have to do with literacy and law.
Butler and Duke are tied, btw.

Comments

KC said…
I am going to try to get this book for the sophs for Wed. We'll see if I can get it from the local library. Also, can you recommend some books about the right to read in other countries???
dw said…
Great post, LH! I wish I was as literacy-ish as all y'all.

Popular Posts