The Bugs

Karla Kuskin is probably my favorite writer of poetry for kiddos. Today I brought her bug poem in to the kinders....

I am very fond
of bugs
I kiss them
and I give them hugs.

I gave the kiddos a template to write their own Kuskin style poems. Got some great ones.

I am very fond
of hats.
I wear them
and I give them pats.

I am very fond
of snakes
I kiss them
and I give them cakes.

I am very fond
of roses
I smell them
and I give them water
and seeds.

Okay, that last one is kind of weird, but kind of nice too.
2 more days to PiYP Day. The kinders are pumped.

Comments

Anonymous said…
My kids are pumped as well. I was copying one that this funny boy in my class picked out from A Poke in the I and as soon as I saw it, I started laughing and knew immediately who picked it out! I wish I could get people at my school on board! They look at me like I'm a weirdo and laugh as if I am kidding them about this!
N
mm said…
I'm excited. I might have three poems in my pocket!!!
dw said…
I am so glad I read this before I went to bed - I needed a bit of a pick-me-up and "I am very fond of hats. I wear them and I give them pats" was just what I needed.
KC said…
I'll probably have Shef do this activity for PiPY day. I don't think they're celebrating, but it's possible he refuses to tell me.
KC said…
p.s. We're going to the media center today with the juniors for them to browse the books and choose a poem. All because I was inspired by you during this literacy challenge.
LH said…
The Literacy Blogging Challenge is spreading literacy throughout the nation and perhaps the world.

Sure it's been tough and we've made sacrifices, but
well done, us.
Anonymous said…
Yes, Well Done!

I loved all the one word poems folks contributed to my FB entry. And it was lovely of you to use my name. Since you used my surname, it made me think of all the poetry in my life that has been caused by others with the same surname - my relatives.
Thanks.

D/
Julie Anna said…
I am very fond
of pies
I eat them
more than docs advise
LH said…
Hilar!!!!

Popular Posts