The End

Little second grade talkative peep was avoiding taking a hideous reading test on a handheld wireless device. His stories were actually pretty interesting so that was part of the problem.
After I reminded him for the 5th time to get started reading he launched into a heartfelt tale of woe. "My dog died and that made me really sad. My dog died in the car. He did. He died in the car. My dog died in the car."
I feared suffocation or heat stroke, and I timidly asked, "Were the windows up?"
"No," he told me. "She was already sick in the house. It was her time to die. But my mom got her in the car to rush her super fast to the vet and she was so nervous my mom went the wrong way."
"So your dog died on the way to the vet?"
"No! She died on the opposite way to the vet."
I tried not to laugh, and mumbled out a sincere apology for his loss.
"It's okay," said Drew. "It was my dog's time to die."

It seemed fitting that in the midst of all this week's literacy testing I got to hear a great story that involved love, pain, and nuttiness.

And it's time for the end of the April literacy blogging challenge. I loved all of it. Let's do it again sometime, THANKS SO MUCH, KC, Dan, Shef, Dobby, John, Gina, Shannon, Mary, Rosalyn! AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO READ THE BLOGS AND EVEN COMMENTED. WAY TO SUPPORT! Let's bring on those May flowers.

Comments

KC said…
We LOLed at this blog when I read it aloud to Dan.

We love your blog and we congratulate you on an excellent literacy challenge.
LH said…
thx dearest.
That kid was so hilarious yesterday. He did about 5 things I could easily have blogged about.

I'm going to try to have some fun today. What about you???
Anonymous said…
Oh my gosh! What a wonderful way to end your blogging challenge. A terrific story. I loved it. And I loved your April blogs.
Thanks.

D/
you make teaching kids sound so much fun but I am sure it is not as fun as your stories make it sound. I cannot keep posting every day but I look forward to continuing to read.
dw said…
I feel bad laughing at that story, but it is really funny despite being kind of sad. Nice work on the challenge, LH!
KC said…
I took Shef to see the show at my hs. it was a rogers and hammerstein review, so it didn't appeal to him much; but I loved it.
Gina Marie said…
I agree with everyone else- that story is really stellar.

It's been a great month- thanks for coming up with such a great challenge. I'll keep reading!
Anonymous said…
In case you didn't see my FB message: Thanks for the invite. Sorry I missed it. I finished reading Unwind, and then took a nap.

D/

Popular Posts