The Review

Fairly pleased with myself today. Left work at 4:30 and shopped at Target, took a walk, picked up sticks in the backyard, chatted on the phone long distance with oldest friend, listened to Basil Rathbone read The Raven, and then found time to read a book review in the NYT, paper of record. I will now review the book review, by Garry Wills, of The Bridge: The Life and Rise of Barack Obama by David Remnick. At first I thought it would be neat to write a "found poem" of words and phrases from the review that resonated somehow with me. And that would be a neat idea, but I'm not going to do that. I'll just focus on a few interesting comments. The reviewer does a good job of comparing bits from Barack's autobiography with contrasting pieces from Remnick's bio. Okay, I'm just going to focus on one interesting comment. The book sounds good. I may read it, but I'm not positive.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Another great photo. You CAN take this personally: You're really turning into a hot-shot photographer. When might you join the BPC?

I was thinking of reading The Bridge, but I thought the review indicated the book is only so-so, and I read another review that said it's not that good.

D/
Anonymous said…
Kudos to another reference to Ms. H in the HT this morning! Your work continues to inspire kids long after they are out of your classroom (refering to the A.C. comment, Geo. bee). You rock, my friend! As for my literacy work--I read many kids writing of poetry last night.
N
LH said…
D, I'm thinking that foto might be out of focus. Please comment about that?

N, was that nice or what?
A sweet start to the morning.

Heading in to the compound for some curriculum mapping. WOOHOO!
Anonymous said…
It was so beautiful yesterday. I think it's great you got outside!!
jw
Anonymous said…
Re this photo: I pulled it off, enlarged it, etc., and I don't see it as out of focus. In fact, it has a lovely softness to it, and the colors blend as in a watercolor. If you want to, you could saturate it, but just a tad.
You done good.
D/
Gina Marie said…
So glad I read the comments- I assumed that you had stolen this image from somewhere, as I tend to do. It's beautiful- nice work!

I think this book sounds really interesting. At 600 pages, I won't have finished it by the time the next "life and times of Obama" book comes out!
Julie Anna said…
I'm thinking of having a stick-picking-up party in my back yard. Based on the sticks in our yard, I'm amazed that the trees still have branches.
Julie Anna said…
This picture is gorgeous!

Popular Posts