The Poem

I've been sending links out about Poem In Your Pocket Day to the colleagues at the compound for a couple of weeks now. Time will only tell if we'll see any peeps pocketing poems on the 29th, but I'm starting to get an inkling that there's interest. Today our awesome assistant stopped me as I was rushing by and she was reading a computer screen. Lately people have been stopping me left and right as I try to do all my extremely important work. It can be frustrating. Today when she stopped me, I thought OMG I can't stop and talk right now. Instead I smiled and said, "What's up?"
"Some of these poems you sent in the last email are great."
"I read a few of them. Some were pretty funny."
She looked up and said, "This one's not funny, but it's wonderful."
In my mind I was thinking, "Pleasedon'treadapoempleasedon'treadapoempleasedon'treadapoem."
She started reading a poem to me and it was about a kid missing his brother who is in the army in Iraq. This assistant's son was in Iraq for a few years, but now he's home. As she read this poem about missing a soldier, she started crying and then I started crying. Then we both laughed and busied ourselves back to work.

Poem In Your Pocket Day is probably going to rock. Still haven't found my poem tho.

Comments

Anonymous said…
"Dreamers are fools," the old sage said,
And wisely went his way -
Knowing the moon was made of rocks,
And the stars were made of clay.
I dreamed the stars were angel's eyes,
And the moon was soft and cool,
And I laid me down on the deep blue sea
To sleep the sleep of a fool.
-Author unknown
mm said…
I will probably post about it, but our school is going to do Poem in a Pocket day next Thursday. All plans are solidified. Now I have to find my poem! Thanks!!
mm said…
Oh, and I ♥ today's picture.
KC said…
I don't know why I've always had a bad attitude about poem in your pocket day. What a dumb thing to have a bad attitude about. I'm going to get right on board.
Anonymous said…
Y'all know there's a little book titled A Poem in Your Pocket. The book itself is small enough to fit into your pocket, and it's filled with poems that you can tear out for your own pocket, or to give to someone who doesn't have a poem in her pocket.
Amazon has it. They also have 1 day delivery.
D/
I love this story! Poetry can really sneak up on you. I like this one- it's not exactly the Midwest I call home, but some days it feels closer to me than Berkeley does:

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2007/02/05
Anonymous said…
Lovely.
jw
cb said…
Very lovely, Indiana Rock.

I am currently smitten with Kay Ryan:

All Shall Be Restored
by Kay Ryan

The grains shall be collected
from the thousand shores
to which they found their way,
and the boulder restored,
and the boulder itself replaced
in the cliff, and likewise
the cliff shall rise
or subside until the plate of earth
is without fissure. Restoration
knows no half-measure. It will
not stop when the treasured and the lost
bronze horse remounts the steps.
Even this horse will founder backward
to coin, cannon, and domestic pots,
which themselves shall bubble and
drain back to green veins in stone.

And every word written shall lift off
letter by letter, the backward text
read ever briefer, ever more antic
in its effort to insist that nothing
shall be lost.
Shannon Beth said…
Hello - Shannon here from odetotheordinary, I just wanted to stop by and say that I've been replying to the comments that you leave on my blog... and just realized, they aren't going to you!

That being said, I promptly wanted to let you know that I DO actually appreciate you stopping by and sharing your related knowledge with me... very much!

Hope you are having a great day, and if you would like, send me over an email at winter(dot)romance(at)gmail(dot)com... and that way I can respond to your comments via email (because I pretty much always have something to say). haha.
Anonymous said…
Ah, Kay Ryan! Love her work. Put her latest book on my Kindle this month. Here's another of hers that I like:

The Best of It

However carved up
or pared down we get,
we keep on making
the best of it as though
it doesn't matter that
our acre's down to
a square foot. As
though our garden
could be one bean
and we'd rejoice if
it flourishes, as
though one bean
could nourish us.

D/
LH said…
IRoaCR, I finally read the Ras poem. WHOA! So GOOD!

Thanks TD!!!

Popular Posts