The Actor

I was trying to sneak down the hall to my hovel this morning when I heard a brouhaha in a classroom where I knew a poor substitute teacher was being subjected to a unique kind of hell that only substitute teachers can know. I tried to slink by, but, as a former substitute teacher, I couldn't stand the guilt I was feeling so I ventured in with the rowdy little punkies and attempted to assist. I ended up reading a version of Goldilocks to this group and if I do say so myself, my little bear voice is pretty good---an annoying whine. After lunch I read with my third grade peep about Denali National Park in Alaska. At the end of the day, I read Horace and Morris, but mostly Delores to some K's during their free choice time.
This evening was the highlight of my literacy pleasure. I heard Martin Sheen speak on campus. We sat very close to the actor/activist and he was a charming and inspiring story teller. He recited poems by Tagore and Emma Lazarus and chatted about social activism, his love of acting, his alcoholism, his son, his faith. At the end the host gave him a Hoosier T-shirt and Mr. Sheen put it on. He looked great.

Comments

Anonymous said…
sounds like a great day, all around.
KC said…
This sounds great! Sometimes your reports about all the btown has to offer make me want to MOVE to btown.

but, Dan and I talked about how maybe what's happening is that your kids are grown up a little bit more, so you can go to the daffodil show without fear of disaster.

what's your opinion?

also, i love martin sheen.
jdoc said…
I too heart Martin. Smart man. Great voice.
Anonymous said…
I took my niece to soccer practice and froze.
But I do love Horace and Morris but Mostly Delores...
jw
Rachel said…
This post just made me love Martin Sheen even more, which, frankly, hardly seems possible.
LH said…
Hey KC, Sometimes it sounds like there's a lot of stuff to do, but I think it's due to my talent for exaggeration.

Martin was awesome last night. I wish I could have invited him over to the house.

Popular Posts