The Poem

Busy day here at leeway. I read a lot of dorky little things today. In the morning, the newspaper said someone gave 500,000$ to our school system, but it's an estate gift, so we get 25,000$ a year from that. And the second grade peeps needed help with their common assessment so I read about polar bear fur and sea otter fur a bunch of times. Did you know that polar bears don't have fur on their noses or under their feet? Well, yes, I think we all know that. I read a bunch of third grade letters to other third graders in our town, asking them to listen to our podcast. After school, I read a power point full of photos about artful learning to a committee of people who are restructuring our school.
After reading a menu, I headed over to good pal Menosky's house to pick up a large bag of candy. She suggested I read some poetry tonight by Billy Collins. I came home and started leafing through Ballistics to find a short poem. I ended up reading a bunch of poems and especially loving the title poem. "Ballistics" is a poem about looking at a photo of a bullet being shot through a book.
Many novels sprang to mind
including those of Raymond Chandler
where an extra bullet would hardly be noticed.

A perfect thing to read on this first day of the reading blog challenge.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I finally finished The Girl with the dragon tattoo. It's a must read.
jw
Anonymous said…
and you read your friend's face when she was so excited to see your fam at the restaurant!
jw
Anonymous said…
I finished Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane with my class and I loved how they gasped out loud when Abilene was reunited with Edward! They LOVED it! I also started reading Sable(K. Hesse) this morning as I am considering using it with a group.
N
KC said…
Wonderful beginning!!

As a literacy worker, you really do a lot of reading.
Anonymous said…
Package addressed to you arriving tomorrow (Saturday), but is for Q. Pass it on.

D/
Anonymous said…
Daniel Pinkwater has an autobiographical piece in the new Cricket. The illustrations are a father and son polar bear. I can't tell if the fur is accurately portrayed. JB
Anonymous said…
Go on Facebook, and check out Harste's polar bear water color.

D/
cb said…
I love "Miss Rumphius."
LH said…
JW, I think I'll buy that book today. I'm giving up on the Chabon. Sorry Chabon, you lost me at p. 154. And I was way excited to run into you this week. Yeeha.

N, I miss reading a chapter book to a group. I may have to squeeze that in to my literacy partner repertoire. I love hearing you talk about your readers. thx for coming over last night.

kc, i like thinking about all the stuff i read in a day. this is a very good challenge we've come up with here.

D, I will pass it on. With gratitude. I've bought him nothing so far, (beside snoop dogg tix) so must get on that. Maybe i'll pretend your gift is from me. And the polar bear is fantastic. I like Harste's fish too.

JB!!!! New commenter. Let's make this a habit, sir!!! I haven't seen cricket in awhile. do you subscribe?

CB, I love it too. The art work is fantastic. And I love books that have stayed around a long time.

Happy weekend to one and all. Mission today: Bday gifts for #1 son who will be 16 tomorrow. Any ideas????

Popular Posts