S4: The Pi


The only time Life of Pi plays in 3D in this town is at 11 am and 11pm.  So come  to find out, Husbandman and I trekked over to the theater this morning to don the plastic glasses and enjoy this tale about a guy who sails the Pacific in a lifeboat with a bengal tiger.  I read this book a bunch of years ago and did not enjoy it much.  Still, I wanted to see Ang Lee's 3D version with the tiger, the meerkats and the whale breeching in the night time sky.  Lots of fun visually, but the movie's not the best, imho. Still, there was a Sankalpa moment in the movie where the character says something like (and I'm paraphrasing here), "Life's full of letting go, but it's hard when you don't get to say good bye."  Something like that.  The thing is (SPOILER ALERT STOP READING HERE IF YOU CARE ABOUT THIS RIDICULOUS STORY), the kid in the movie is sad ("heartbroken") because when the tiger leaves him at the end of the voyage, the tiger doesn't even look back at him before heading off into the jungle.  KID, it's a tiger.  What the heck do you expect?  And I admire the guy's care and compassion, but I really can not grok that scene where the tiger jumps off the boat and then wants back on and the kid (PI) helps him get back on. Who would do that?  I'm sorry the tiger's going to drown, but the kid gave up his one chance at some peace of mind. Of course at the end we learn that there probably was no tiger, so it's all a moot point.  If you want to see Life of Pi, go ahead, but I would recommend the 3D.  The way they filmed the digital tiger is quite amazing, so you may want to read about that before or after you go.

Today I finished week 3 of the Couch to 5K program.  Week 4 is going to be tough, but it is my heartfelt intention to complete it.

Comments

mm said…
Good bye to week 3 (c25K) and good luck with week 4.
Julie Anna said…
I read the book and can't decide if I even care to see the movie. But wow! Good job on the c25k plan! It's a hard time of year to get through any kind of exercise plan. You rock!
KC said…
I liked the book, but I probably won't see the movie. Good review, tho. THanks! And, congrats on the running. I think that's awesome
Sarah said…
I really liked the book, but when I saw the previews for the movie I thought to myself "well that's not right, they make it look totally unrealistic" and had to then remind myself that the entire premise of the story is completely unrealistic. Still liked it though, but probably won't see the movie.
LH said…
The movie's interesting to look at tho. I want to reiterate that. The tiger scenes are wild.
LH said…
And Hi SARAH!

Popular Posts