The Arrogance

Had to deal with a bit of arrogance and sexism today, I'm sorry to report.  I am spending 3 days at a Leadership institute.  Today the presenter yakked over and over again about how he's going to simplify the research for all of us teachers because he knows we wouldn't be interested in statistical information.
So after about the 50 gazillionth time he said that I couldn't handle it anymore and said, "I hate to interrupt, Benjamin, but you seem to be making an assumption about all of us right now that I find a bit offensive."
     As an arrogant person he stood firm to his belief saying, "You don't understand.  I'm talking about articles that have STATISTICS!  Even graduate students will frequently not understand these articles.  I"m being mindful of my audience right now."
    And then I said, "It feels like you're not being mindful of your audience Benjamin.  The teachers in this room have spent many years dedicated to our profession.  We have advanced degrees.  We read research."  
    Still, Mr. Arrogant stayed strong. "Well, I could send you an article some time.  I'm sure you'd be bored, but your husband will probably enjoy it."  (I'm not kidding here, peeps.  Benjamin actually said this.)
     So I said, "Well, you don't know me, do you, Benjamin?  You actually know nothing about me.  Isn't that true?"
     Then he said, "Well, that's true. I don't.  And I hope everyone in the room will forgive me.  I know Lee will not, but maybe the rest of you will."
      Being the bigger gal I said, "I've already forgiven you Ben.  It's all going to be okay."
      2 women later thanked me for my comments, but it was kind of hard to shake my bad mood after that, though I stayed outwardly upbeat.  This is the kind of nonsense teachers have to deal with every day.  Super annoying.

Comments

OMG Doctor. I think you handled this with much more grace than I would have. Sorry for the obnoxious presenter. I hope you don't have to listen to him again tomorrow?
Anonymous said…
Hate this! Hope it is a different presenter tomorrow. So glad you stood up to him. Don't think I would have stayed.
N
Sarah Gardner said…
OMG. I could maybe get over the assumption that I wouldn't be Intested in statistics, but to suggest that my husband would be more suited for the article??? That's just ridiculous. Sorry that's how you spent your day :( we had fun launching iPads and groups in d5 today :)
LH said…
I probably should have added that he knew my husband was a math guy from the Sunday night dinner. But still.... that's rude.

KC said…
I am really proud of you for taking that guy to task. I am appalled by his ridiculous behavior.
Sarah Gardner said…
I wondered about that. But still.
cb said…
Geez. Unbelievably dense. Didn't I see that guy on Fox News recently?
His cognitive functions seem pretty low. You were brave and gracious.
jdoc said…
Wow. This amazes me. So much work to be done. Thanks for fighting the good fight!
Julie Anna said…
Unbelievable! I'm glad you gave him a piece of your mind, but sheesh, the dude should've GOTTEN the message. I only wish you'd asked him to address you as Dr. Heffernan. Maybe that would've shut him up.
Bill said…
Benjamin sux.
hr said…
I'm sending some readers from my online grad class your way to read this account. My non-confrontational self would probably have thought of many clever retorts, but wouldn't have used any of them. Bravo!

Popular Posts