S18: The Pep

I woke up on the grouchy side, but I've perked up considerably as the day's gone on. My spirit lifted when I came across our assistant principal talking with a young miscreant.  THE AP read from a referral paper, "Your teacher says you are not doing your work.  Is this true?"
     Miscreant: No.
     AP:  It's not true?  Is your teacher lying?
    Miscreant:  Yes.
     AP:  Oh really?  Well it says here that you went over and took a juice box without permission and you started drinking it when you were supposed to be working.  Is that true?
    M:  No.
    AP:  No?  Your teacher's lying about the juice box?
    M:  Yes.  She's lying.

 I couldn't stay to find out if AP was able to break Miscreant down but what a charming hilarious scene.  Miscreant was sticking to her guns. And her stoicism filled me with glee. I repeated my sankalpa several times today before I got cheered up by Miscreant.  Like Miscreant, I was getting pretty rigid in my thinking on a few topics of late. So that's pretty good that I recited my sankalpa and overcame my rigidity and acted fairly maturely for the rest of the afternoon.


Comments

mm said…
Sometimes we find strength and resolve in unexpected places.
LH said…
Yes. It helps me to seek out the funny stuff that's lurking in the day.
jdoc said…
I miss the funny stuff in schools. Mostly I stare at a computer screen now. This must end.
Julie Anna said…
Where does one go from here, though, in this type of conversation? Does AP say, "the teacher never lies" or "I don't believe you"? Does the AP pull out video evidence? I find this sort of a dead end conversation...like AP is sort of forcing the kid to lie over and over again. I think I would just say, "You may want to change your story because we have incontrovertible evidence that you took the juice box, and lying more is going to dig the hole deeper." Probably why I'm not a teacher.
KC said…
Hilar. I had a kid choose to slide off his chair onto the floor during Writer's Workshop today. "Bad choice," I told him. I mean, obvi.
Anonymous said…
Way to continue to force the child to lie. Just state the obvious and move on. We'll all by happier.
jw
LH said…
I just keep thinking the kid would back down. Especially with such specific stories. We moved on once we realized she was on her own path.

She's an awesome little dynamo.
Julie Anna said…
Kids are weird like that. I remember this big fib that I told my parents one time and no matter how many times they pointed out the obvious, I stuck to my guns. I guess I truly convinced myself that i was not fibbing! The fib was that I sang them this song and told them that I totally made up the song all by myself, when it was obviously a song we all already knew like "You are my sunshine" or something like that. What a weirdo.

Popular Posts