S21: The Locks

Brought a kinder to my office for a reading test on Friday.  We have a new policy where everyone's supposed to keep their doors locked and closed in the building.  I have been ignoring that because it's just me that's going to be killed if a murderer comes in.  Anyway, the kid started reading and then asked, "Can I shut your door because I could get distracted?" I said he could.  Then he asked, "Can I lock the door?"
"Yes, you can lock it."
Then he read like a champ.  We were walking back to his classroom when he said, "We'll have to knock on the door to get in."
Proudly I showed him my master key and explained to him that since I'm all over the building I can unlock any door so I don't interrupt teachers.  He stopped in his tracks, pondering this with a frown.  Then he said, "Well, I guess that's good, because you're not a bad guy."
"I absolutely am not," I reassured him. I was actually a little taken aback that he had to consider my status as good or bad for a few moments.  Obviously I'm not a bad guy and everyone should know that.
This locking of the doors thing is kind of a hassle.  I hope this little guy can let go of his concerns and enjoy our Artful School as the safe fun place it's meant to be.

Still working with nurturing my Sankalpa: A seed has tremendous power, but only if it is sown in fertile ground, looked after and tended daily, with the inner certainty that the seed will produce its fruit in its own time.



Comments

mm said…
Our doors have to be locked, but we don't have to shut our doors. I think I'd go crazy if the door to my room was shut while I was teaching. I would like that as much as I would like an armed person in my school trying to protect me.
LH said…
This makes more sense to me. I am going to check at school. I may have misunderstood what was wanted.

The locked door thing is a hassle.
Julie Anna said…
The kinders in your school seriously crack me up.
Julie Anna said…
After starting a blog challenge, I have writer's block in the worst way. The doing, yes. The writing, not happening. Thank you for carrying the challenge.
KC said…
We have the same rule as mm. Locked and propped, baby!

Popular Posts