The Book

I'm almost done with the Hedgehog book. About 40 pages left. It's not really my kind of book so I'm not too thrilled that this ended up being the book that I made a solemn vow to finishing in order to restore my readerly identity. Because my word is my bond, I've dutifully read each day. It's not a horrible book, but one of the 2 main characters gets on my nerves with her ruminations on phenomenology and commas and summer rain. The other main character ruminates on these same events, but she's 12 years old and I find her amusing. So the book is 50 percent amusing. Which is not passing. I feel a little badly that KC agreed to join me with this book and even worse that I bought it for some good friends for their holiday giftie. I guess it's really true that misery loves company.
Last night I spent a great couple of hours getting the rundown on some great titles on Good Pal Menosky's KINDLE. GPM says I must read Whistling Season next and she also recommends Hunger Games. And Ten Cents a Dance too. And she gave me Stones Into Schools for a lovely gift, so that book is calling my name. My fave Anne Tyler has a new one coming out next month.
I can tell already that 2010 is going to be The Year of the READER. If I can just make it through these past 40 pages. Dear God in heaven, please give me strength and guidance as I struggle through.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks to GPM for those titles as I can always use a good read and I too am involved with the Hedgehog book, but just starting. Hope I can make it through. Isn't vacation the best?!
N
KC said…
I'm on page 70-something of the hedgehog. I agree about the characters. And, I generally like things with more story and fewer ruminations. But, I will make it through.

Some mpls friends are telling me i have to read The Middle Place. They say I will LOVE it.
lee said…
I've been kind of hard on the book. Around 200 it started pulling me in. By 300, I'm feeling more kindly toward it.
Anonymous said…
Skipping the Hedgehog book. I'm sure no one is surprised. I absolutely Hunger Games. but I think everyone knows that.
jw
Anonymous said…
loved
kc said…
let's start a ning to discuss the books. who's with me?
LH said…
I am. But I don't really know what a ning is.
Anonymous said…
I could be in too, but probably not if reading the Hedgehog is a prerequisite. LH's drama with it and the recent review in our local paper have convinced me I should spend my scarce reading time reading something I will enjoy more, assuming I ever finish this dang history of the color palette...

mem

greetings to the visiting Hs. Their (and your) x-mas card went out in yesterday's mail
hr said…
Have given up, though maybe only temporarily, on the Hedgehog at about page 120. My little sis convinced me not to spend precious winter break reading minutes on something I was not loving. On to the new Barbara Kingsolver instead.

Popular Posts