Image 14: Hello Kitty

I've always been a huge hello kitty fan.  This gal knows how to live her life with style and confidence.
She has a quiet appreciation for the natural world.  She's friendly, but certainly not demonstrative.
Today I got pulled into a situation I didn't want to enter.  A little kinder was taking a time out in the office.  She was painting with watercolors.  An adult was asking her to go back to class.  The kid wouldn't go. I tried to speak with the kid but she dug in her heels.  I took her paints away and she got super upset.  I sat down to talk with her and turns out the poor kid has a mom in the hospital and she wanted to give the painting to her mom but it wasn't finished yet.  It didn't have her last name and it didn't have her baby brother in it.  So I did the only thing I could do at that moment.  Returned the paint set, got her some fresh water, wished her mom well, and  reminded her to head back to class once her art was done.  Sometimes giving in isn't a sign of weakness.  It's a sign of smartness. I believe that in this instance, the girl needed to explore her art, just as I needed to produce Hello Kitty this evening.  Artistically, we are sisters.

Comments

mm said…
I love the line, "She is friendly, but certainly not demonstrative." Great Stuff!!
kc said…
The school stories are so fabulous.

I think you made the right call with the paints.
jdoc said…
I would have made the same call. Smartness, fo sho.
Anonymous said…
Thank you for always looking for the reasons behind a child's behavior. And thank you for always acting in the name of love.
D/
LH said…
I don't know if I do
always act in the name of love, but I know that's my aim, and a lot of that's
been learning about teaching from you GPM.
Goodwoman said…
Drawing looks awesome... You make Hello Kitty sound cool. (Probably not as cool as Keropi though)
StreibProjects said…
That is an excellent drawing of HK.

Good call on the paints!
kc said…
This "name of love" business is making me cry a little bit.

Teaching is so emo sometimes.
LH said…
It's totally emo.
Judy said…
Good call. I sometimes wonder how many times I haven't taken the time to figure things out and have made the wrong call. This is a tough job.
jw

Popular Posts