I love Be'erotayim.

Tr:  Ani ohevet Be'erotayim.

Be'erotayim is the place where we stayed last night.  It's called a khan, which is an Arab word for "inn." Be'erotayim is in the Negev Desert.  They have camels.  We went there with College Chum and it was a blast from beginning to end.  In this blog post, I'll focus on our one hour camel tour and everything you need to know about riding a camel.

This is our friendly second camel.  We were on our FirstCamel when FirstCamel tried to bite College Chum's foot off while she was sitting on her camel.  Our wonderful guide had told us to hold on to the saddle handles and never to scream or startle the camels.  So when FirstCamel was poised to bite off CC's foot, I said in a super calm voice, "He's going to bite you.  He's going to bite you.  He's going to bite you."  When CC raised up her legs away from First Camel's grasp, FirstCamel started biting her camel.  Turns out these two camels don't get along, so Wonder Guide had us get off First Camel.  Easier said than done. By the way, we never learned the name of FirstCamel.  

We got on Second Camel.  Her name is Samira and she is 15 years old.  She was a delight. For the first 10 minutes or so I felt like I was probably going to fall off Samira, but I figured it was only about a 7 foot fall and I would not be seriously injured.  Then I figured out how to center my body on the saddle and that calmed me down. This is a photo I took of our shadow while riding Samira. 

We headed out into the desert.  In the distance is the border with Egypt.  We learned a lot about camels, the border, and the plants of the desert.  At one point, Wonder Guide asked if we'd like to get off the camels to check out the plants.  I said no thank you because it's a real hassle getting on and off a camel.  So Wonder Guide got off and picked some edible flowers for us and we ate them.  Our camels ate them too. 

The desert was stunning, but most of the time I just looked down at Samira's head. I'm a huge Samira fan.

Photo credit Husbandman.

At the end of a camel ride, it's nice to come sit by the fire and drink some tea or coffee.  

Comments

mar said…
This is SO COOL! And I love the pics too! I'm glad you had a nice camel, and it's neat that her name's Samira.
Goodwoman said…
I love camels! That is awesome that you got to ride one!
Unknown said…
Wow! Sound like you had another adventure. Thanks for sharing.
Unknown said…
I TOLD you camels are very dangerous! I'm so glad Samira was good to you. She's sounds down.
StreibProjects said…
Great story! I want to ride a camel!
Anonymous said…
That is an great adventure. I get nervous if I ride horses someplace. I can't imagine a camel!! Someone said riding camels was an expensive way of traveling back in the days of old.
W.O.W.
jw

Sandy said…
I love the camel stories...Samira sounds like she was picked just for you guys! So glad she was sweet. I think it would be cool to ride a camel; probably not gonna happen, but cool nonetheless!
LH said…
I wonder if anyone ever rides that camel that lives off of 46 on the way to Brown Coubty?

Popular Posts