Have Fun.

Tr:  Bilui Na'im.
Early this very morning I learned about the new monument to Denmark Vesey erected in South Carolina.  I learned that Denmark Vesey was a slave who won some money and bought his freedom.  Then he became a carpenter.  He made a good living and wanted to purchase his wife and kids, but could not. Over the course of ten years, Denmark Vesey planned a slave rebellion that would free thousands of slaves.  Sadly, some of his friends ratted out the plan and Denmark was killed by hanging along with 34 others.  There are people who are not happy about the new monument to Denmark, but I think it's important and overdue and helps us better understand our complex history.  It's high time to pass the word about Denmark Vesey, a free man who fought to free others.


Comments

mm said…
This poor guy looks the way I feel.
Anonymous said…
I do remember reading something about this guy but I was happy to read your link. Well done!
jw
KC said…
Thanks for this post. This is something I want to know about.

Also, how's it going with watching Cave Digger? I don't want to stress you out with my own agenda, but I really want you to watch it for some reason.
LH said…
Denmark Vesey has an interesting and tragic story.

KC I just bought downloader for 3.00 so I'll be watching it soon. Thanks for the rec.
Sandy said…
There are days I feel like this guy too:)

You find the most interesting pictures and things to write about. Love that about you Lee!
Sandy said…
There are days I feel like this guy too:)

You find the most interesting pictures and things to write about. Love that about you Lee!
LH said…
Thank you Sandy!

Thank you Sandy!

:) I love the extra comment!!!!

Popular Posts