The Reassurance

I'm spending a good portion of my fall break figuring out report cards.  I haven't been a classroom teacher for the past 5 years so this is trickier than it sounds.

Come to find out, there's a whole new fangled way to fill out report cards.  I'm slowly getting the hang of the new system, but it's taking a lot of hours.  At least I'll be better prepared next quarter because I'll kind of know what I'm doing I think probably.

Yesterday I felt like the Little Old Woman Who Lived in a School.  The place was dark and quiet. I had materials spread all over the room.  I was wearing comfy work out clothes and drinking perrier in the splendid slim cans.  I was glad for Hairy the Tarantula's company and talked to him from time to time about my wishes (for an electron microscope) and my dreams (of winning the MacArthur).  "Hairy," I told him. "It's not super fun being here on fall break, but the important thing is that we're making some progress.  We're moving forward, focusing on the next right thought and the next right action."  Hairy nodded and actually spoke, saying, "Aye.  You speak the truth, Woman."  That was the first time I've ever heard Hairy speak our language so I was a little taken aback. But his kind words of reassurance gave me the strength to persevere.

PS.  I just read over the Little Old Woman who Lived in a Shoe poem to use it as a possible link.  That woman sounds like a nightmare.


Comments

KC said…
That woman is not nice.

I'm glad for the RC progress. And sometimes, the solitude is so lovely.
mm said…
You do speak the truth, but I wish you weren't talking to spiders.
Anonymous said…
Hairy is great company and a good listener. He and I had many deep conversations...when the crickets weren't trying to talk over his voice.

ks

Popular Posts