The Invitation

This week ended the nine days of Navrati, an important Hindu festival.  President Obama had some tensions around this festival because he invited Mr. Modi, the prime minister of India, to dinner.  Mr. Modi fasted and drank warm water while my favorite President had a fine meal. But what are you going to do?

I was in the same situation earlier this week when a thoughtful thirdlander signed up at morning meeting to talk about Navrati.  "I invite all of you to join me in not reading books today because the goddess of learning needs to rest."
Everyone was quiet and finally I said, "You know what, Kiddo? I think the rest of us are going to continue with the reading."

I really felt a connection with President Obama.  This was a tight spot to be in.  I want to support, not thwart.  My favorite President, like me, had to make some tough decisions on the fly.

Comments

KC said…
That's a toughie. But, we can't force each other to observe each other's holidays because of pluralism.

So, good work.
mm said…
I'm glad the little thirdlander said something. Everyone was able to do what was best.
LH said…
The morning meeting topics are varied and interesting. I brought a puppet to morning meeting this week. Got the kids pretty hyper.

I kind of wish I hadn't done the puppets yet, but I couldn't help it.

Popular Posts