The Mulberries

Men are in our tree with saws.  The Mulberry Tree is being killed.  It feels selfish to cut it down.  It's a huge healthy tree.  We are paying the hitmen to kill it because the tree drops mulberries all over our cars and our driveway.  The mulberries get tracked into our home and stain our rugs.  One of the hitmen asked me if I ever ate the mulberries.  I told him no, they seem more like a waste product than a food item.  He responded that he intended to eat as many as possible once he gets up into the tree.  I feel bad about hiring the hitmen to kill the mulberry tree.  I'm going to have let go and forgive myself for this moral lapse, after I think about it all day long. Farewell, Mulberry.  Better luck next time my friend.

Comments

cb said…
Farewell Mulberry.

Maybe you could include the mulberry tree in your graphic novel. A sketch of the guy in the tree eating the mulberries? You've already sketched a vivid image of that with words.

Thank you for this bittersweet story.
Anonymous said…
I truly disliked that mulberry tree. There. I said it.
jw
LH said…
I know, jw. It's gone, but not forgotten.

CB, A good idea for the graphic novel---Titled: Tree Assassins.
KC said…
We had one. It sucked. It wrecked our deck. I hope the people who bought our house destroyed it.

Popular Posts