The Bechdels

I finished Are You My Mother by Alison Bechdel today and immediately started reading her first book, Fun Home. I read all day, so I'm almost done with Fun Home. These are graphic novel memoirs and they are phenomenal. I'm thinking of writing a graphic novel.  I've been sketching some little images here and there.  Once I get some kind of concept, I'm good to go. At any rate, try to read these books by Alison Bechdel if you want.  Both very good.

I spent half my day reading, and half my day trying to clear out closets.  #1 Son is not super helpful with this work. I asked him today, "Do you think I can move your... manga collection / old sheet music / toys of yore... to the Goodwill bags, or do you want them in a box in the attic?"
#1 is non-commital, usually offering something like, "Either way, it's not going to make much difference," or "Why do you even have to move any of this stuff?"  I'm not sure why he thinks his roommates will want to stay in rooms filled with his old stuff, but he seems to think they won't mind. I didn't get much done.

Changes are happening at Artful School and it feels weird to read about said changes via emails or texts knowing that I don't work there any more. I was getting all hyped up talking with people about school yesterday and today I realized I need to back off and let people live their lives without my 2 cents.  It's a little tough not knowing where I'll work in a year and my major goal is to not think about this anymore, but I still keep thinking about it.  I hope I stop soon. I don't do well with uncertainty. I think we all know this.  If I knew where I would work next, I would stop thinking about it right away.


Comments

Sarah Gardner said…
I love read all day kind of days! It was sad to see the word permanent next to literacy coach in the email new principal sent out about postings that will be made official in the coming days, even though I knew that was to be expected. I don't do well with uncertainty either, so I get it. We should do something together this summer before you go to Israel!
mm said…
I think the graphic novel idea is phenomenal.

I also think you and your beloved artful school are phenomenal which makes these changes difficult.

Stay strong and carry on!
KC said…
I'm going to get these books immediately. Thanks for the recco.

Also, I'm pretty sure I could find you a great job in MN. You could live with us when you get back. I'm sure your family would enjoy that!!!
Anonymous said…
I was with you right up to the point when you said you would stop thinking about it if you knew where you were working next year.
jw
cb said…
I'm glad you are enjoying the Bechdels! They are wonderful books. She has a blog too: http://dykestowatchoutfor.com/blog

Maybe after some time passes, you will think about the job situation less. Sometimes that works. I hope it does for you. All I know is that wherever you land, that place will be so lucky.
Anonymous said…
LW said.....
and I thought you were talking about the Are you my mother book I read to my kids!!! Kept wondering why it was taking you so long to read it!!!
I totally get feeling disconnected from the school you have been so connected to and invested in for so long!
A graphic novel , can't wait to read it! How about Lee Goes to Israel?
LH said…
Thanks, all for the encouragement for my graphic novel idea. I started it yesterday. Since I can't draw, my main character's going to be a pointy blob with 2 stick legs and a tense looking face.

Popular Posts