The Selling

I bought some books yesterday at corporate book store.  I was in a great mood after spending an hour grazing on books there.  Then when I went to buy the books, the poor cashier had to go through the suggestive sell script and I felt a mixture of pity and annoyance that lingered for awhile.  Script went like this:
Would you like an awards card? It saves you money.
-No thank you.
You could save 8 dollars.
-No, not today, but thanks.
You could get a coupon for an e-reader at half price.
-No thank you. I'm going to pass on that.
Well, here's your receipt, and it has a coupon on it for a 10 dollar cheesecake. You can get it over at the cafe.
-Oh geez, I really don't need a cheese cake right now, but thanks.
Oh, no worries, you can't get it today. You have to order the cheesecake today, and you can pick it up in 48 hours.
-Okay, well, thanks.  Thanks again.
If you order that cheesecake, I promise to eat half of it for you. (laughing oddly)
-Well, thanks, I'll keep that in mind.  Appreciate it.

I find these exchanges irksome.  I already spent way more money than I should have and I already feel anxiety around that. Now I have to parry with you about spending more money on stuff I don't want or need, like cheesecakes. But then I remember my days at Taco Bell and I try to feel solidarity with the suggesters.  At the bell, if we didn't suggestive sell, we got yelled at by the manager.  I would ask about every 10th customer, "Would you like another taco?" And the customer would look at me like I was insane. I think one time in 8 months someone said, "Yeah, okay." I was shocked. I don't think suggestive sell works that great. But I could be wrong. A new thing that's been happening to me lately is cashiers give me their name and a web site and ask me to get on line to review their service quality.  I'm never going to do that. Who would? When I'm on the internet, I don't want to be helping others. I know that's not super kind, but I fear that if I help them, I'm going to get tangled up in a new corporate game somehow.

Comments

cb said…
I'm right with you on this one. Suggestive selling is dreadful for all involved.

Being asked to buy something more, join their club or donate to the store's favorite charity always makes me feel anxious.

But after reading your excellent blog entry, I am kind of in the mood for some cheesecake . . .
lee said…
I wish I had kept that coupon. I could get an entire cheesecake and share half with you, after I let the cashier eat half.

I actually haven't eaten cheesecake in a very long time.
Anonymous said…
I am a sucker for coupons. That marketing technique works on me. But I have never gone to the Internet to do a survey on a store or the service provided.

jw
KC said…
I LOLed here. I also hate this. I try to send of aggressive NO vibes at cashier stands.

Popular Posts