Learning 8: Procter and Gamble

  We're in Cincinnati.  Husbandman leaves today from this very city.  He's going to Europe for a week---Vienna and Paris.  We had the most wonderful dinner last night at Nicola's.  You should go there.   Yesterday, before our feast, I learned about Greensburg Indiana and their historic tower tree.  Then I read 2 historic plaques while walking to the restaurant.  Procter and Gamble has been based here for a long time, since 1837!  One made soap, the other made candles.  They got together and there you go.  Also read a plaque about the courthouse riots.  Didn't learn why the people were rioting, but it was a tough time and about 200 people died. Today we're going to see a Patti Smith exhibit at the Contemporary Art Museum.  We are nervous about our upcoming trip to Israel.  So much to do, so I'm not sure it was a great idea for Husbandman to travel to Europe right now, but I'm not bringing that up with him, out of courtesy.

Comments

Sarah Gardner said…
I've lived in the Cinci area since I was 9 and did not know anything you referenced in this post! Very informative.
LH said…
Thanks SG. I loved my 24 hours in Cincy. I always have fun there.

I have to publish a correction. 200 peeps didn't die in the courthouse riots. About 50 did. Still, it wasn't a great time. You can read about the riots here if you want to:

http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/w/Cincinnati_Courthouse_Riot
mm said…
Procter and Gamble... makes sense... good stuff.

Popular Posts