The Death

I really hate that feeling when someone kills someone else and I feel a glimmer of glee about it.  Sure when I'm watching TAKEN with the incomparable Liam Neeson, that's appropriate.  That's what the action genre is all about. But in real life, I find the feeling so disturbing.  I remember when I heard Jeffrey Dahmer got murdered, I thought, OH GOOD! But then I just felt gross after that.  I don't want anyone to be killed, no matter how horrid they are.  And when I'm happy about someone being murdered, I wonder, Am I losing my human-ness?  Of course, I'm pleased I don't have to watch anymore of Bin Laden's home movies, but I wish we hadn't murdered him.  I wish we could have been better than that.

Comments

mm said…
Agreed! I appreciate that many (including myself) had this as their FB status.

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that" -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
LH said…
I put this on my facebook too. Thx!
jdoc said…
Thanks for being honest about the ambivalent feeling about Bin Laden's death. It's a tricky situation. I keep thinking about the whole thing as a episode of The Wire where you hate that someone is being killed but it makes sense for the thread of the narrative. In the grand scheme of HBO dramas, action movies, and literature, the resolution does not surprise me. Except it doesn't feel like a resolution at the same time. I guess I'm saying that things are complex. It's appropriate that our feelings are complex too.

Being reminded of one of my favorite statements from MLK has been a silver lining.
LH said…
I keep listening to more OBL news. It's a powerful time for so many psyches. Mine too I guess!

Popular Posts