The Egg


#1 son wants to be an egg for Halloween. I try to talk him into wearing his chiton, but he won't go for it. With low expectations, we wander into the costume shop and I sheepishly explain to the clerk, "My son wants to be an egg. " I expect the guy to offer us various approximations. Maybe a rubber conehead or a marshmallow man suit. Deadpan, he replies, "We have the egg in adults, but not kids."
I laugh out loud, "You have an egg costume???" He leads the way and the costume is a deviled egg with horns and a tail. 50 dollars for a piece of felt with a hole in it. I am peaking, but Husbandman scoffs at the price and #1 shakes his head at the horns. I hold up the package and cry out in anguish, "I am holding an egg costume right here in my hand! Our Halloween work is over with one swipe of the credit card." Husbandman starts making plans for buying felt and designing his own egg costume. #1 is nodding enthusiastically. I have tried to explain to my family a gazillion times that money can buy me happiness, but they don't listen. And the egg making begins.

Comments

Undomestic said…
Can't wait to see the final product...will it be hard boiled, over easy or scrambled?

I just got Max's yoda costume in the mail today. I spent too much, but like you, I feel it's done...so I'm happy.
LH said…
I got an easy design for a fried egg off the internet, but those two rejected that as well. He wants to be just a plain white egg in his shell.
Yoda's a good choice. I'm jealous of your done-ness. Even though I am not at all involved with the making of the costume physically, psychologically these things weigh on me.
Anonymous said…
As I'm sure we've all heard before, "if money can't happiness, you just don't know where to shop!" ..... I'm with Lee-Lee on the credit-card swiping!!!!!! TGIF
Anonymous said…
I ALWAYS manage to leave a word out for some ..............
LH said…
sister b, i've told you we never notice the typos. we focus on meaning, rather than convention, in this world. hope your weekend is fun. Savvy Mom and SlapDASH are coming down for a visit. Pedro's in Lincoln Nebraska.
Anne said…
I'm with you on buying the costume. Last year, FRD wanted to be a princess. We spent a whole day shopping for patterns and fabric, and then several days (some I spent alone) sewing. Bonding was great and all, but the final price tag for fabric, notions, etc was nearly 100 smackers. (He had to have all the shiny expensive halloween fabrics) We could have bought a princess costume and had lots of money left over to spend bonding over the movies or dinner out.
Julie Anna said…
Entering my dissenting opinion...I'm all about the making of halloween costumes. It is, in fact, the fun part of halloween for me. My kids always want to buy something, damn them! So I have to end up making myself a costume, just for kicks. I'd be all over the egg idea, and forming up a frame, over which we would apply paper strips dipped in glue. I was a big eyeball one year, along these same lines.
LH said…
husbandman's having problem with the egg costume. i'll keep you posted.

Popular Posts