The Basics

I think my students think I'm blind. Last week, while I was teaching a kid walked across the room toward the tissue box. On her way, she flipped a note onto the desk of another girl. In clear sight of me and everyone. Today two kids traded off making the weirdest faces while I was reading a fascinating book. I decided to give the class a little chat about vision. I tried to help them understand by stating clearly, "You're directly in front of me and I can see you. I can see the things you do."
I don't want to promote sneakiness, but I do think they need to gain greater proficiency at basics like note passing, mimicry and assorted tomfoolery before they move on to junior high. Posted by Picasa

Comments

Undomestic said…
I always collect the notes I find them reading. I never read them out loud, but I do certainly read them. They usually contain information about a girl liking some boy. Then I get to gently tease them about it in the halls and stuff. And I let them know this before hand, if I find it, I'll read it!
KC said…
this happened to me a LOT in eighth grade.

heLLO! i would say.

in tenth grade they're a lot sneakier, which i think is a relief.
Anonymous said…
If there is a guest speaker spot available in note passing basics I am available. I find that fine parchment with a hint of rosemary not only adds a bit of class to the note it makes it somewhat easier to "digest" the evidence. Pesto is so 90's!!!
Julie Anna said…
Do kids ever write the "classics" anymore. Example:

I like you. Do you like me? Check yes or no.

I got one like that from Stanley Blount in the 5th grade. It was my worst nightmare that he even remotely considered it a possibility that I would check the yes box. Sorry Stanley.
LH said…
the note passing continues. one said on the front, pass this note to the girls on this list, in this ORDER! Inside was a sweet poem about the sunrise.

sister joy, come visit and show them how it's done.

Popular Posts