The Culture


I've been doling out apologies like they're going out of style lately. My friend G was incredulous about how much apologizing I'm doing. He says he's been noticing too many people living in a culture of apology. I get his point, but when I inconvenience someone, or hurt their feelings, I work up a pretty good apology. Sometimes I even buy the person a gift or two. G asked if I was apologizing so much because I had a need for people to like me. I'm sorry to report that the answer to that question is a resounding yes. Posted by Picasa

Comments

Undomestic said…
I do the same thing. And I say Thank You a lot, when I really shouldn't. Go figure.
Anonymous said…
i share this need, and i totally get it.

i apologize a lot, too, even to the bitchy german teacher.
Anonymous said…
it all evens out, I think. I probably don't apoligize enough. sorry.
Bob
LH said…
a good start bob, but i'm afraid i'm going to have to ask you to pull your weight in the culture of apology in future.

c and kc, we need to pull back and let bob step up to the plate.
Julie Anna said…
I think I apologize a fairly normal amount...not too much, not too little. To be honest, sometimes I don't give a rat's ass if people like me or not--they either do or they don't. (ACK! Maybe this is why I have fewer friends than you, my friend!) I do say thank you a lot. I don't know if you can overuse a genuine Thank you. My son is pulling more than his share of the weight by being overly apologetic most of the time, which makes me a little crazy. I like you tremendously, dear heart, with or without apologies.
LH said…
thanks ms. j, i won't make any apologies for how crazy i am about you good friend.

Popular Posts