The Satisfaction


The sixers have been bringing in CD’s in the morning and playing them on a pathetic CD player with glitchy volume control. Today a sixer brought in his own CD player, it’s bigger and in all ways better. I was nervous because things get stolen and broken in schools and teachers have to explain how these things happen. But when the sixer put on a Stones CD and a room full of sixers started singing Satisfaction, I felt nothing but happiness. Later during portfolio swap, I put on a CD given to me by RockFiles. At first they made their little faces when the soundtrack from This American Life came on. But gradually the music became the perfect backdrop for kids finishing up writing projects and sitting in clumps reading each other’s essays and book reviews and news articles. After a track or two, kids were generally expressing their love for the CD and one sixer asked if he could borrow it over the weekend. A sweet end to a snotty week.
After school, Judy suggested that I might not want to be blowing my nose quite so much during parent teacher conferences next week. Seeing the reason in these words, I headed over to the clinic for the antibiotics. Help is on the way.

Comments

hr said…
I'm so happy to hear the TAL CD is being enjoyed. I have yet to play it in my class. Maybe Monday.
KC said…
this portfolio swap sounds cool. wish i had the TAL CD. can i download it somewhere??d
LH said…
i assume you can download it.
maybe at audibles.com?
that's where HR got the TAL cd's i sent up with you on your car trip. She's basically my source for this american life artifacts. woke up at 5am and am back to work on the dissertation. at long last. yay.

Popular Posts