The Simplifying

The link above supplies a great article about how Rosa Parks' story has been simplified, that she was a long time civil rights activist before her arrest on the bus that led to the bus boycott. We're watching the Teaching Tolerance video "Mighty Times" later this week, so we read about Rosa Parks' story today. A few sixers made ridiculous comments about the article, but most were into it. Though some of the nonsense smartypants stuff in sixth grade gets on my penultimate nerve, I like that so many of the kids seem to have little interest in pleasing me with their responses. With the thirdies, I always worried about coercion, but with sixers, ticking off the teacher seems to be part of the game. I just keep plugging along with my little ideas and lessons. The day went surprisingly well for teaching on Halloween, amidst bags of costumes and plates of treats for the big party this afternoon. I urged the kiddos to save the kitkats and twixes for me. Let's see who'll be getting extra credit tomorrow.
Credit for this cool foto of Gypsy: Lewison. (I bought the hat.)

Comments

freethoughtguy said…
I'd be scared, but ...

It's bad luck to be superstitious.

;-)
hr said…
Have you read the Sarah Vowell piece on Rosa Parks? She talks about the ridiculous people who compare themselves to Rosa Parks. I can't remember if it's in Take the Cannoli or Partly Cloudy Patriot. I'll look when I get home. I'm pretty sure it was on TAL as well.
Anonymous said…
It's in the Partly Cloudy Patriot.
jw
Undomestic said…
I LOVE Teaching Tolerance Magazine, and they have some wonderful videos and teaching resources. I got a grant for them one year, when doing a "Little Divas, Gentle Men" workshop in my class. It was a very simple application process.

LOVE the cat picture.
hr said…
jw you are my reading hero.
LH said…
hi freethinker, i enjoyed your fotos on your blog. i used to live in that great place.
hr and jw, how come i have never read any sarah vowell?
hey ms. cari, i do like their magazine too. the mix it up day they sponsor is something we're working on right now. the kids are jazzed.
Anonymous said…
Can't imagine why you have not read any Sarah Vowell. All the cool kids are doin' it. Bob and I attended her reading last Friday night in, of all places, Redwood City. She read the Rosa Parks thing in honor of the occasion.

mary
LH said…
i lost my cool card a while ago, so i need to apply for a new one.
i will hunt down some vowell soon. today i bought an anita shreve book. nothing's really keeping my interest too much these days.

Popular Posts