The Heat


It’s been cold in our house for weeks now, but I just keep turning up the thermostat, adding a sweater or fleece, making a cup of tea. Guests hold their coats over their laps, and I turn the thermostat up a bit higher. When Teen Daughter wears a down jacket while doing homework something clicks and I figure it might be time to investigate. The air blowing through the vents does not appear to be warm, but maybe it is? I can’t really tell. I turn the thermostat up to 85 and an hour later it still reads 62. More evidence of something amiss.
When the heating guy arrives seven hours after my call, he walks in and says, “I remember your house from the work we did on the air conditioning this summer. We had to turn your heat off because you need a flue liner.”
“Well, we’ve had heat up until today,” I answer.
He replies gently, “See, your heat’s been shut off. You’ve had no heat. There’s been no heat.”
“You shut my heat off last summer?”
“Had to. Without a flue liner we couldn’t hook up your furnace to the flue. Without that connection, the carbon monoxide would have killed all of you pretty quick.”
While I thank him for protecting us, I wonder why he didn’t mention this 4 months ago.
We have heat today and now I remember what heat really feels like. I vow to never forget again.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hmm, we had a similar situation with our air-conditioning in June, when I had the thermostat turned to 70 and the house wouldn't cool below 88. We paid the technician $135 to tell us that the fuse for the cool air had been shut off last winter when work was being done on the house. Homeowners are given way too much credit for being expected to just KNOW these things.
LH said…
It's so irksome.
I need to know more though.
The guy asked me if my stove was electric or gas and i answered, "I'm pretty sure electric." I keep thinking i should learn more about fuses and valves, not because i have any interest, but just because i'd like to be the kind of woman who knew such things. there's some status there?

Popular Posts