5. The Volume

I think I have hyperacusis, a growing inability to tolerate everyday sounds.

The Thirdlanders were loud today and I found myself struggling to tolerate their volume.

  We were creating tiny houses with cereal boxes and colorful tape, which was fun, but I started twitching because of the noise level.

Because of my hyperacusis, I'm sure my doctor will tell me I have to start wearing noise cancelling headphones whenever I'm at work.

By the way, there's no cure for hyperacusis.


Comments

KC said…
I have one little darling in my class who has no volume control. I just say gently, "you're yelling," and he seems to have no clue.
mm said…
Thanks for reminding me that although the thirdlanders sound delightful, I'm glad I'm teaching 7th graders.
Julie said…
I have always had some level of hyperacusis. Made it difficult, some days, to raise two very loud boys. Especially during things like birthday sleepovers. But we all made it through. This issue is why I know for a fact that I could not be a teacher of young children. I salute you for making it through anyway. I often say "you're yelling" to the husband. I don't think he appreciates it.
LH said…
Hyperacusis really sucks.

Popular Posts