20. Museum of Common Sense Physics

This is one of those days where I wonder why I thought a 30 day blogging challenge in April was a good idea. But I'm here, getting it done, and soon I'll be in bed asleep.

I was reading the NYT yesterday and came upon one of their 36 Hours in Such and Such a Place pieces.  This week it was Mendocino.  I thought of 20 Something right away.  Mendocino is only 90 minutes from where she lives, so why wouldn't she just drive up there and spend 36 hours poking around?

There's a museum there called The Museum of Common Sense Physics.  I spent time reading all about the gentleman who made this little museum.  He's dead now, but he seemed like a great guy, full of curiosity.  He was interested in physics, so he opened up a TV store, where he sold and repaired TVs.  Most of the time, he was just working on physics experiments, using various television remnants and spare parts.

When I was reading the NYT article, I miscued and thought the museum was called The Museum of Common Sense.  What an awesome idea, I thought, and clicked on the link with vim.  I was disappointed that the museum is really just about physics, which is not one of my major interest areas.  But that's neither here nor there.  Larry Spring turned his job into a front for his real passion, which is pretty sensible thing to do if you can swing it.

Comments

Julie Anna said…
I spent 36 hours in Mendocino once. The coastline is beautiful. It’s where they filmed some of James Dean’s last movie. The bnb I stayed at put out homemade cookies and wine every afternoon. And staying there got you free entrance into the redwood hotubs and saunas where everyone wandered around naked. It was pretty fun. So CA.
mm said…
I like the idea of a common sense museum.

Popular Posts