12. The Bridge

Photo by Nancer
As you all know, we're learning how to play bridge.

Bridge is extremely hard to learn, but it's going to be worth it.  One author calls the game of bridge a "life long friend."

Last night, one or two bridge rules started to make sense to me.  I was a little embarrassed because these were basic rules that have been explained to me 50,000 times over the last few months and that are written down on a piece of paper I keep in front of me at all times throughout the game.

"Why is it taking me so long to learn this game?" I wondered aloud.  I noticed the others nodding solemnly and making quick eye contact among themselves, with raised eyebrows, as if they too were pondering this same question, and simultaneously feeling concern about my progress right along with me.

One web site says it could take me 3 to 6 years to learn how to play bridge. In short, hold the horses, my friends.  We're in for the long haul.

I suggest everyone start learning bridge.  I like to think about all of us in our 80s and 90s playing bridge with our bridge club. We'll eat snacks, drink wine, do our best, forget the rest. I can take photos and collect bridge blog stories.  A ride service can take us home or we can all spend the night and Husbandman can make breakfast in the morning. Let's not worry about details.  We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Comments

mm said…
Ah, I see what you did with that last line... I'm not going to learn bridge because I'm certain to quite certain I don't have the patience.
LH said…
It does require patience,MM, but drinking wine while you play does help with that.

Of course, the drinking of the wine might be part of the reason I'm not making the progress I expect to make, but
progress be damned. We'll get there in the end.
KC said…
There is value in slow progress. I learned this recently. Sometimes, you're slow and behind the curve, and then seemingly by magic (but actually by sticking with it), you make a bunch of progress. This will probably happen with bridge.
LH said…
"It takes a lot of slow to grow."

My fave Karla Kuskin poem.

Julie said…
That's a long time to learn to play bridge. I admire your patience. If I had the patience to learn how to play bridge, I think I'd learn to play the violin instead. Or something else, I'm not sure. I have the patience of a gnat, however. Can I come to the bridge parties to just observe, pour drinks, and provide witty reparte?

Popular Posts