25. The Leafy Hair

Photo Credit:  @DailyRos
Woke up this Saturday morning after ten solid hours of sleep.  I ran my hand through my bedhead as I sat up, my feet searching for slippers down at floor level.  My hair felt weird, as if I were pulling my hand along a leafy hedge.  Sure enough, I looked in the mirror to discover my head covered with green waxy leaves, growing every which way.  I should have been startled, but come to find out, I thought I looked great. The leaves were actually a huge improvement.  I headed downstairs for coffee, feeling special and unique, perhaps even extraordinary. I mulled over Alice in Wonderland's words when she was swimming in her own tears, "....everything is queer today." Coffee at the ready, I opened my tablet to read some print journalism. My heart sank when I learned there was nothing special about my situation after all.  A lesser headline, toward the bottom of the screen, announced, "Treelike Tresses Bloom Atop Human Heads Across the Midwest."

"Damn it," I whispered.  My phone dinged suddenly.  Then it dinged again and again.  It was time to face the music and accept that I was just one person in a sea of people with leafy locks. I took a breath and decided to relax. I resigned myself to getting comfortable with being one of the peculiar plant-headed people of Peoria.

Comments

mm said…
I've learned not to believe this.
KC said…
This is a great one.
Julie said…
I know for a fact you don't live in Peoria, but I understand you sometimes need to take a tiny bit of creative license with a story.

Popular Posts