The Banning

Morning Meeting Sign Ups. Topics:  Awards, Homework, News, Books, Gender
It was banned book week last week.

As usual, I forgot about it, but with a little help from my friend Mitzker, I got on the train at the last stop.  Mitz gave me a pin and some bookmarks for the Thirdlanders.

Then I remembered I had a couple of awesome power point slide shows that I made with the students at old school.

So we talked about the power points, shared our book marks, and read a banned book. Thirdlanders were shocked that the same book could win the Caldecott and be banned.  "Look at this Caldecott sticker," A thirdlander pointed.  "How can you ban this?"  Book banners may have good intentions, I told the Thirdlanders.  (But let's face it, book banners need to stop being bossy flossy).  I'll probably stretch this out into this week. We don't like people telling us what we can and can not do so further exploration of book banning is right up our alley.

Comments

Unknown said…
I forgot too. I'm sad about it, but I'm going to get over it.
mm said…
When I had more time, I did a Banned Book week lesson with the seventh graders. We looked at picture books and tried to figure out why they were banned... Crow Boy, Where the Wild Things Are... My favorite was Sylvester and the Magic Pebble. It was banned for two reasons 1) cop depicted as pig 2) something turns to a rock.. meaning "gets stoned"

Popular Posts