Monday, September 01, 2014

The Saint

Woke up with a freaking stiff neck this morning, which just about put me over the edge.  Why am I having so many stupid problems?  Doesn't the universe realize I just want to live and let live?

So the first thing I did was write to my mom and ask her if there might be a patron saint of stiff necks that I can invoke today.  She wrote back that St. Blaise, patron of sore throats, is probably the nearest go to guy. I read about St. Blaise for a bit and was saddened to hear that he was beaten with hot combs before his beheading.  I was working up a little ritual in honor of the Blaiser, but then I got to thinking.  Instead of finishing off the writing sitting in front of me, I could be using google to track down the right saint for the right body part.  And come to find out, I stumble upon Saint Ursicinus.  He lived around 610. Born in Ireland.  He was a hermit.  Then he went to Switzerland. That's all we've got, but really how much do we need? He's all about the stiff neck.

Oh Saint Ursicinus, think of me today as I sit here writing with a hideous stiff neck.  Bring healing relief to my neck, especially the right side, if you feel like it.  In the name of all that is kind and good.  Amen.  

7 comments:

mm said...

http://pause.hennepinchurch.org/2013/02/throats/

We celebrated the Feast of St. Blaise and the blessing of throats in church one Sunday.

Good luck with the writing and neck.

Anonymous said...

Of course there's a Saint for the necks. Of course. Great job unearthing her.
jw

Indiana Rock on a California Roll said...

This is a really good one.

LH said...

Thanks, dolls.

Here's a pretty good photograph of my patron saint.

http://saints.sqpn.com/wp-content/uploads/img-Saint-Ursicinus-of-Saint-Ursanne.jpg

KC said...

I am loving the photo of the editor convo. I like how the editor is allowing time for thinking.

unabashed liberal said...

The stiff neck will disappear when you finish writing. Maybe there is a saint for writing.

Anonymous said...

I hit up St. Blaise for ya LeeLee---he usually come to bat for me in times of need! Feel better xoxoxo B&B