The Saint

Woke up with a freaking stiff neck this morning, which just about put me over the edge.  Why am I having so many stupid problems?  Doesn't the universe realize I just want to live and let live?

So the first thing I did was write to my mom and ask her if there might be a patron saint of stiff necks that I can invoke today.  She wrote back that St. Blaise, patron of sore throats, is probably the nearest go to guy. I read about St. Blaise for a bit and was saddened to hear that he was beaten with hot combs before his beheading.  I was working up a little ritual in honor of the Blaiser, but then I got to thinking.  Instead of finishing off the writing sitting in front of me, I could be using google to track down the right saint for the right body part.  And come to find out, I stumble upon Saint Ursicinus.  He lived around 610. Born in Ireland.  He was a hermit.  Then he went to Switzerland. That's all we've got, but really how much do we need? He's all about the stiff neck.

Oh Saint Ursicinus, think of me today as I sit here writing with a hideous stiff neck.  Bring healing relief to my neck, especially the right side, if you feel like it.  In the name of all that is kind and good.  Amen.  

Comments

mm said…
http://pause.hennepinchurch.org/2013/02/throats/

We celebrated the Feast of St. Blaise and the blessing of throats in church one Sunday.

Good luck with the writing and neck.
Anonymous said…
Of course there's a Saint for the necks. Of course. Great job unearthing her.
jw
This is a really good one.
LH said…
Thanks, dolls.

Here's a pretty good photograph of my patron saint.

http://saints.sqpn.com/wp-content/uploads/img-Saint-Ursicinus-of-Saint-Ursanne.jpg
KC said…
I am loving the photo of the editor convo. I like how the editor is allowing time for thinking.
The stiff neck will disappear when you finish writing. Maybe there is a saint for writing.
Anonymous said…
I hit up St. Blaise for ya LeeLee---he usually come to bat for me in times of need! Feel better xoxoxo B&B

Popular Posts