The Voices

Voices In the Park, Anthony Browne
I'm working tonight on the introduction chapter.  I wonder if 3 pages is a long enough introduction?

Thirdlandia was all abustle today.  So many sweet moments.  So much cool work.

The only downside has to do with a wayward wasp that spent the day in the classroom.  Thirdlanders interrupted me repeatedly to tell me about the wasp. Probably 2 or 3 hundred times.  I kept saying the typical stuff.  Ignore the wasp.  The wasp isn't hurting you.  Whole 9 yards.

I kept seeing kids hovering around the wasp.  I saw some thwacking with pencils and assorted sundry other gestures of unkindness toward the wasp throughout the day.  Dozens of times.

About ten minutes before the end of the day, I noticed the wasp kind of limping around with everyone standing around it.  I couldn't take it anymore.  "Kill the wasp," I said.  A delighted Thirdlander jumped on that wasp like there was no tomorrow.

I still feel kind of bad about the wasp.  He didn't belong in the classroom, but I'm not sure he deserved to die.  Better luck next go round, Wasp.  I'm sure you did your best.  Now it's time to forget the rest.

Comments

KC said…
You displayed excellent restraint. I kill the wasps immediately, preferably before any students even see them. Nothing derails a lesson like a wasp.
Anonymous said…
OMG!!
That's hysterical!!
jw
mm said…
I agree with KC.

Popular Posts