Apples and Oranges

tr:  Tapuakhot ve tapuzim 

Today we’re visiting a Druze village.  I read about the Druze people on wikipedia. Here are some quick facts to get you started as you venture into your future study of Druze culture:


  1. The Druze religion is kind of a secret. Only Druze people know the ins and outs.  
  2. The Druze have lived in this area for about 1,000 years.  
  3. They are neither Christian nor Muslim. 
  4. There are 2 Druze villages near Haifa.
  5. Hospitality is very important to Druze culture.
  6. There is a Druze battalion in the Israeli Defense Force. 
  7. Their language is Arabic, but with their own Druze flair.
  8. About 125,000 Druze people live in Israel. 
Not a lot of information, but considering I knew nothing about Druze culture only yesterday, I think I've done okay. I'm giving myself a 2 on the fist of 5. I'm ready to venture forth to Daliyat El-Carmel.




Comments

Anonymous said…
Never ever ever heard of these people or religion!!! Thanks for the education.
judy
mm said…
"one learns something new every day."
KC said…
I too was ignorant of the Druze people and religion. Thanks for this important information!
LH said…
The Druze village was very cool. It's close to where we live too. I feel like there are so many more things to see that we are going to miss. Host Country has a lot to offer.

Popular Posts