Fall 2012 #19: The Work


I've been working away today in Husbandman's office.  Took a walk at lunch time.  IU truly is a beautiful campus and today was gorgeous.  Not making much headway on the work, unfortunately.  Mostly I've been reading stuff on global citizenship by Kwame Appiah.  I like this guy's writing about cosmopolitanism.  I'm a cosmopolitan because I think people matter, and I believe I'm a global citizen and I believe I have an obligation to others. In line with cosmopolitanism, I'm a fallibilist in that I'm not sure if I'm right or not.  I also believe everyone has responsibility for their own life.  Appiah says that we in the U.S. should all watch a movie with subtitles every month, just like everyone else in the world does.  I'm already doing that at Bear's Place every Sunday.  I've not done his ideas justice here, but you can see I'm taken with the guy.  Not sure yet if he's going to end up in the NCTE talk, but since I spent hours reading his essays today, he probably should.

Comments

Popular Posts