The Reassurance

Today in lunch line this 5th grade dear was FLIPPING OUT!  She was holding her head with her fists and looked like she was about to spit.  I said, "Doll, what the heck is going on?  You look super upset."
"I'm so mad," she told me.  "Friday's supposed to be my good day.  It's supposed to be my great day.  But today everyone is making me so mad and I feel like I'm about to start screaming and slapping people."
"Please tell me if I've done anything at all to upset you," I said to her quietly, holding my hands in a praying gesture.
"No, Dr. H.  You are one of the nicest people I've ever met.  You've done nothing at all."
"I'm so relieved," I told her.  "Let me know if I can ever help you with anything."
Just then she was able to get her tray of food and I was so happy I wasn't drawn into the fifth grade girl drama, and that overall I came off in a pretty good light.    Win win.


Comments

KC said…
I like how you approached this problem.

And, I like how you called her Doll. I think I'm going to start doing that at school, too.
LH said…
Doll covers a lot of territory. It sounds kind of old school too, which I like.

Do you also like MOREL mushrooms?

Popular Posts