The Haircut

Eventful day, peeps.  What can I tell ya?  An eventful day.

First, Little Redhead was standing about 20 feet away from me, right down the main hallway, as I talked to a colleague.  He stood perfectly still, staring at my face, rubbing his hair with both his hands.  It was clear that he wanted me to notice his new haircut.  When the colleague was done talking, I directed my attention toward Little Redhead, asking, "Did you get a new haircut, Little Redhead?"
"Yes, I went to Walmart first, but they messed it up, so then I went to the other place called the barber."
"Well it really looks nice, buddy," I told him.
"I know," he said as he sauntered casually down the hallway, back to kindergarten. This kid kills me.

So that's one of the things that happened today.  The other thing that happened is that I worked hard to reflect on ways I'm helpful to others at school, and to celebrate my helpfulness.  I got this idea out of a cheesy leadership book I'm reading.  Though the advice in the book is cheesy, it did help me to feel more positive and to stay calm til christmas.  I helped some 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade readers and a few teachers too.  It feels good to be helpful.  And I celebrated this by acknowledging it, and by having some wine with Mitzi, at the Uptown.

And here's the other thing.  I gave a reading inventory to a bunch of 3rd graders and they had to read a passage about HANGNAILS.  No one knew what a hangnail was. Not even me, it turns out.  Some thought it was a nail you hammer into the wall to hang stuff on.  Others thought it was a hanger, for clothing.  Come to find out, upon reading the passage, we all found out that a hangnail is just a piece of dry skin hanging off your cuticle.  It can get red and sore because of rubbing against fingers and various other objects. Now, I've always thought a hangnail was your actual fingernail cracking in a weird painful way, and just hanging off from where it normally should be.  But I have learned otherwise.  Just a piece of dry skin.  Near the cuticle.  Do not bite it off!  Use nail clippers, but don't do anything if you are a very young person who could hurt yourself with clippers. Just try to ignore it.
PS.  Husbandman rejects this definition, and the linked photos, of hangnails.  He does not believe that these are hangnails.  Weigh in on the controversy if you find yourself with some extra time on your hangnails.

Comments

Anonymous said…
There should have been a red and really sore hangnail photo. I should photo some of the kids' hangnails from my room. They put plenty of bandaids on them, and usually take them off 5 minutes/seconds later.
N
Anonymous said…
Oh yes, those are pics of real hangnails. If you're bad and rip or bite them off it really hurts.

D/
mar said…
I think Peter needs to accept the truth! Yep, that picture is a hangnail! I like this picture of Q. with the bass! My New Year's resolution is to look at your Blog every day!
Julie Anna said…
A hangnail is the dry skin, not the broken nail. Tis the truth, husbandman.
Anonymous said…
Yup. You got it.
Jw
LH said…
Seems like the only people on the planet that didn't know about hangnails were me and Hman, and all the third graders.
kc said…
I am intimately familiar with hangnails. These photos are of hangnails.
jdoc said…
I'm with you and Hman, LH. I thought a hangnail was part of the nail. Why not call it hangskin?
LH said…
Guess what happened tonight? The event that I had previously thought of as HANGNAIL, occurred on my veritable thumb. On my left hand. Thumbnail split across the top in an awkward way. Causing pain.

Is there a word for this? Because I know now, it's not hangnail.

Popular Posts