The Sheets

A few years ago, word walls became a big thing at school. To help kids out with their writing, teachers covered their walls with words. Now teachers have been told to cover their word walls with sheets because kids should not be able to look at word walls during next week's standardized testing. It saddens me to walk through the halls and see white sheets up in classrooms. I wonder what the kids think when they look at those sheets? God forbid they should look up at the wall while they're writing about their stupid prompt and use one of the precious words posted there. We sure wouldn't want that to happen. Using a word from the word wall might IMPROVE their score and give them advantage over others without word walls.
I have no word wall because I'm lazy about these things, so I'm lucky I guess. No white sheets for me. Yet.
p.s. Foto Credit: Menosky

Comments

Undomestic said…
I liked the Pledge link. I can't believe they suspended him for that. Have you read Avi's Nothing But the Truth?
LH said…
hi cari, yeah i'm reading it with a group right now. they're into it. my sister emailed me this today and i'm borrowing her words without permission here because i think they're funny and smart and belong with this post...

"words on the walls in schools???? when did this start and who is responsible for the madness that will certainely ensue?? i want names damn it!!!

i thought about standardized testing while i was tuned into animal planet the other day watching the eukenuba dog show, each dog was referred to as "standard for the breed". i wonder if they can expand that to include children..."representing the 4th grade standard is mary jones...see how she carries the book bag, outstanding performance jack, i like it, and obviously the judges have noticed her as they ask her to walk around once more for the closer look." "shes a crowd pleaser as well bob, these spectators are no stranger to quality in the 4th grade standard".

Popular Posts