The Mondays


Some kid said that he had a bad case of the Mondays this morning. For me, the morning was going well with a generous amount of pleasantry, but my cheer dissipated when in second period, there started a chain reaction of loud dramatic no hands over the mouth yawning. I explained that the dramatic obnoxious yawning leaned toward the rude side of life and it ceased. After about 10 yawns. This job's certainly not for the insecure. And sadly, I think I may have to face that I AM one of the insecure. I need to recommit to the warrior path, a la Chodron. I wish I could laugh these things off, but today, those yawns really got to me. By the end of the morning, I had a case of the Mondays too. Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
I take yawns pretty personally too- and I see quite a few of them when I'm talking to students one-on-one in my office. It's hard to not take them personally when the person is sitting right next to you! But if it's still morning I always attribute the yawning to sleep deprivation. That helps to ease the pain.
LH said…
m, this makes me feel a lot better. i noticed they weren't yawning at top decibel today during their standardized tests, so that REALLY made me take it personally. The chain of yawns hasn't happened since i took a stand though, so maybe they'll never do it again.
And so maybe I will have helped you in the future. You can take me out to lunch in 6 years if you see a yawn reduction then.

Popular Posts