The Fotos

We made a midmorning trip to the post office to update kids’ passports. Other people happened to be there for the same task so we had an interminable wait watching them fill out papers before we were all led through the back sorting area into a small room set up for passport photography. The pictures were taking forever so I left the room to see what the back of the post office looks like. Huge bins on wheels, lots of cubbies. Published posters about conflict resolution and how to use a polite tone were on the wall and so were three home made posters with magazine collages with war themes: one was covered with pictures of soldiers in Iraq and another was covered with photos of different military planes. I was intrigued by the whole inner workings so I took out my camera to take some fotos. I didn’t photograph people so I didn’t see that it would be a problem. After 2 quick shots, I returned to the little room. The kids were still waiting to be photographed. After a few minutes, a woman came in and started scolding me about taking photos. I apologized for not asking and she kept ranting. I showed her the fotos on my camera and even offered to delete them, but she kept blasting at me. She left and the kids were photographed and we returned to the main postal line where we were waiting for more papers to be filled out. The woman came out there with paper and pen and told me she needed my name and phone number just in case her boss would want to call me this week. I gave both politely but I was pretty freaked out, since it was dawning on me that she perhaps suspected me of working for a terrorist group. I wondered if taking pictures inside the post office was some kind of federal offense but I hadn't seen any warning signs. All day I’ve been in a wicked bad mood worrying if someone’s going to show up at my door to confiscate my beloved camera or to take me in for questioning. My family was irked by the whole thing and husbandman accused me of staging a scenario so I could blog about it. He apologized later when he realized how upset I was. I probably used bad judgment in taking the photos, but give me a break. I wasn’t touring a nuclear facility, I was walking through a room where people sort envelopes. Maybe those hand made posters have something to do with this?

Comments

Anonymous said…
good entry about The Situation.

I think all your readers will sympathize with the injustices done to you.

xoxo
LH said…
I'm still stressed about The Situation, but I'm trying to move on. Blogging has led me into some risky territory. First I ignore a sign in Canada, and now I photograph forbidden federal spaces.
Anonymous said…
Perhaps Blogging is creating adventures for you. We don't know it's illegal to take pictures at a post office and her tone was inappropriate and rude. Perhaps this lady needs a vacation. Can't wait to see the pics on your blog in a few weeks.
jw
Anonymous said…
I watched The Upside of Anger last night and I've been thinking that people seem so angry lately -- including myself. It is, as KC says, a very unsuccessful emotion. Maybe I'll be in a support group with the post office lady some day, but for now, I've stopped being angry.
LH said…
thanks for the mums, jw. they calmed me considerably after the postal ordeal.
jdoc, i liked that movie too. i don't think i can be successful not getting angry, but i'm getting pretty good at apologizing, explaining and starting again, and accepting that i'm a flawed human being. happy school week to you.
Anonymous said…
Wow! What happened to you reminds me of the scene in Fahrenheit 911 when Michael Moore was interrogated because he was standing across the street from the Saudi Arabian Embassy. We're just not as free as we used to be. It's very sad for our country.
LH said…
And very embarrassing for my family. I was basically reamed out in front of many other patrons. I still have postal traumatic stress disorder from this event and i'm only half kidding.
Julie Anna said…
Ok, this brings up one of my pet peeves. Call me a born law breaker, BUT, you know the saying, or law, or whatever it is, that goes, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse." Well, why the heck not? I mean, some laws are common sense, and other laws are very well publicized. But come on, there are some esoteric laws out there and if they are not posted, how are we supposed to know about them? How are we supposed to avoid breaking them? I'm irritated with my post-person right now because not only does she deliver the neighbor's mail to my house on a regular basis, which may or may not be her fault, given the way letters are sorted and grouped. But the other day she put a HUGE PACKAGE on my porch that was addressed to my neighbor. Now one would think that at some point between the mail truck and my front door (a good 50 feet) she would've looked at the address on the package and compared it to the address on the mailbox. Perhaps she's spending too much time making collages in the back room.
LH said…
julie, this cracked me up. A lot. especially the wise and witty ending.

Popular Posts